¿ What is Intermittent Fasting ?: Instructions For Use
What is intermittent fasting – Stopping once in a while can be a great idea. There are diets to kicks so it is easy to lose sight of issues such as how a diet works or what are the benefits and risks of it.
The latest fad in the world of nutrition is intermittent fasting.
This type of diet is very popular among athletes and for many people who want to lose weight it is the definitive method.
So we have decided to analyze it and share with you what we have discovered.
Our ancestors 50,000 years ago did not eat three times a day. Studies indicate that they had an omnivorous diet, such as pigs and bears, getting nutrients from available sources, animals or vegetables. Basically, they ate everything they caught.
It is likely that our ancestors often went on an empty stomach several days before the tooth could get into something.
The human body is more than prepared, because on the slightest occasion it tends to store fat.
These reserves allow anyone to survive for weeks without eating, yes, provided they drink water.
¿What is Intermittent Fasting?
As the name implies, intermittent fasting is a model of feeding that goes through cycles, with periods of fasting and eating.
Strictly speaking it is not a diet, but rather a meal program. You are not told what you have to eat, but you have to focus on when you eat.
Intermittent fasting is not something strange or peculiar, but part of everyday life.
It is perhaps the oldest and most effective nutritional treatment imaginable, but for some reason we have forgotten its formidable effectiveness and ignored its therapeutic possibilities.
Learning to fast correctly gives us the option of putting it into practice or not.
Types of intermittent fasting
The idea is not to stop eating for a week, although there are those who do, because these prolonged fasts are counterproductive: they cause a loss of muscle mass and slow down the metabolism, leaving you worse than when you started.
This type of fasting is called intermittent because periods of fasting and eating alternate:
There are several methods of intermittent fasting. The most popular are:
It consists of fasting for 24 hours and eating at will for 24 hours.
These are the studies that have been carried out most often with mice, with many positive results for their weight.
But in doing so with people, it was found that they lost fat, but were very hungry, which makes it unfeasible.
Time Restricted Food
This method is applied every day:
It is fasted for about 16 hours (including the night) and is eaten at will within an 8 hour window.
In other methods, such as the warrior’s diet, in which you eat only one large meal per day. Studies are more favorable, including one in which subjects who ate a single meal lost more weight than those who ate three times a day, although they were all eating the same calories.
What is Intermittent Fasting
Periodic fasting and diet 5: 2
Initially popularized by the muscular biochemistry doctor John Bernardi.
The idea is to fast one or two days a week (not consecutive) for 24 hours.
At this time you should only consume liquids without calories, such as water, tea or coffee. The 5: 2 diet is a variation of this idea.
It eats normally for five days per week, and two days (again non-consecutive) it eats below 500 kcal (for example, a couple of salads and a chicken breast). This is the simplest option and, in my opinion, the most recommended.
How fast can you lose weight with intermittent fasting
How intermittent fasting works
Intermittent fasting is not a diet, and that is good, because diets do not work, while intermittent fasting does. Most diets are based on caloric restriction: instead of eating 1,800 kcal per day, you eat 1,200, 30% less.
This results in rapid weight loss, especially of water, muscle mass and some fat. As soon as you leave the diet, you recover the weight by far.
What to eat with intermittent fasting
The advantage of intermittent fasting is that during this period of fasting you have already lost most calories to lose weight and lose fat, which is a great advantage when it comes to eating you can eat whatever you want as I said a Nutritionist friend, isn’t it wonderful?
But my suggestion is that if you want better results eat healthy things and that benefit you to this new method of eating and avoid sugars, fats, flours and artificial drinks.
I recommend that you follow a diet or a meal plan according to your goal to Big results.
How to lose body fat without exercise
Intermittent fasting also means reducing calories, but not a day, but a week. If your daily diet is 1,800 kcal and you stop eating two days.
After the week you have reduced your weekly intake by 30%. So what is the difference?
The difference is in the body’s ability to adapt. After a week of starving on a hypocaloric diet, your basal metabolism drops.
That means that your body happens to spend less, even less than the reduced diet you are already eating. Researchers call this well-known phenomenon “adaptive thermogenesis,” but you will surely find it as “metabolic damage.” It is the reason why hypocaloric diets do not work.
The advantage of intermittent fasting is that there is a reduction in calories, but there is no adaptation, because you are only fasting for 24 hours at most. Before your metabolism goes down, you eat again and go back up.
In addition, intermittent fasting increases your metabolism by up to 14% and instead of making you lose muscle, it retains it.
Effects of intermittent fasting
There are several studies that have analyzed the effects of intermittent fasting on the human body in some of its modalities.
More research is needed, but the results are very promising:
- Intermittent fasting causes blood insulin levels to drop, especially after 16 hours of fasting, which makes it easier to burn fat and increase growth hormone, which builds muscles, improves the immune system and regenerates joints.
- Short-term fasting stimulates autophagy in the brain, a process by which neurons eliminate their damaged components, protecting themselves from neurodegenerative diseases.
- It is proven that restricting the amount of food prolongs life in trials with worms and rats, which can live twice as much. Intermittent fasting seems to work the same way, but without going through a sad life of constant hunger.
- Fasting activates sirtuins, proteins that regulate inflammation and aging, protect cells from oxidation and prevent the proliferation of cancer cells.
- Intermittent fasting seems to improve insulin sensitivity, lowering glucose levels and therefore could be used to prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes.
- Intermittent fasting has proven effective in reducing inflammation and oxidative stress, two of the factors that cause cardiovascular disease.
- To make matters worse, intermittent fasting lowers LDL cholesterol, increases HDL cholesterol, lowers blood pressure and triglycerides.
- Intermittent fasting had managed to stop Alzheimer’s disease in rats, and in a recent trial with human patients, nine of the ten participants improved thanks to the fasting program.
How to do it
Personally testing the effects of intermittent fasting may not be easier, but keep these indications in mind:
- The most comfortable way is to get most of the fasting time at night. For example, the day you start you usually eat at noon, and you don’t eat anymore in the day. The next day, skip breakfast and eat for the first time at noon.
- During the fast drink water as if there was no tomorrow. You can also drink tea, coffee and in general, any liquid without calories. No, you can’t add honey to tea.
- Start with one day of fasting per week. If you acclimatize well, you can do it on two non-consecutive days, for example, Tuesday and Friday.
- Try that the day you start fasting is a day off from your exercise program. The next day, exercise just before the first meal.
- Avoid prolonged exercise while fasting. If you exercise strength or intervals, take a small portion of protein, a shake contain leucine. So you will avoid burning muscle mass.
How to fail with intermittent fasting
If you use it to binge you:
After the first day of fasting there are those who take the revenge and throw themselves into the junk food during the rest of the days.
In a study with mice, after fasting they put themselves to the top, canceling all the beneficial effects.
- You can fall for the same. Intermittent fasting only works if there is a reduction in total energy, and that is achieve by eating normally the rest of the time: proteins, vegetables and controlling carbohydrates. It is not an excuse to eat donuts by the dozen.
- If you do not do sports: calorie restriction will always cause muscle loss, and the best way to avoid it is strength exercise.
- It is a bad idea to make long jogging races, because your body can start burning muscle mass instead of fat. It is best to do a short session of high intensity exercises or weights just before the first meal after fasting.
- If it is not intermittent: prolonge fasting more than 48 hours, sometimes disguis as “cleanings” such as the maple syrup diet, the onion diet or are a way of starving, losing muscle mass, lowering your metabolism and that your Bounce weight as soon as you eat again. Do not do it.
This publication is for information only.
Always remember to consult a specialist doctor before putting into practice any information and knowledge shared in this post.